Saturday, May 23, 2009

Built-in DIY

When we got pregnant for the last time over two years ago, it became
clear Nicole and I would have to give up our home office to our older
daughter and renovate/convert the attic to a workspace. That meant
losing our closet for a proper staircase. Behind this built-in are the
stairs.

The top is a simple framed 1/4" birch panel. I used 1/2" and 3/4"
birch plywood for the entire project to keep the costs low. I spent
the majority of cash on drawer slides. These are full extension 8"
deep 24" long drawers, so I plunked down good money to make certain
there'd be minimal maintenance in the years to come. The bar pulls are
from the clearance rack at Target of all places. $2 per pkg of 2
stainless steel pulls, about 1/4 of the price one would expect to pay
for a single pull at normal retail. I won't gloat. I got lucky. Nicole
saw them.

The rest of the bedroom and the path through to the left to the walk-
in closet will be completed before the end of the summer.

I miss working in the new attic space, but these jobs take my mind off
where I'm not and put me to task on something that makes me happy.
Nothing better than feeling helpful these days. I gotta keep that in
mind.

A job like this is moderately hard. If you would like to save money,
like to work with your hands, go on Amazon and buy a few books by
Chris Gleason. He's great!