Thursday, June 24, 2010

How much will be lost and will anyone in the future even care?

When I started blogging and posting all my pictures to flickr, in the back of my mind I worried, "what if these sites close down?" In time my concern lessoned, as more services came and others went away. In fact, once Yahoo Photos started to shut down (a few years after Yahoo had acquired Flickr) but they made it easy to transfer photos to any service, I lost any lingering concern. Sites all over the place, from now until the end of time on the web, will pop up to pluck your old content off all those dying old platforms when the time comes. In fact, there's business reasons for it, many will argue: I love how Posterous has turned old dying platforms into its business model.



Wonder what will happen when people abandon Facebook like many of us did to AOL back in the late 90s...certainly there will be a lot more content to syphon off, but perhaps there will be something better and more useful in the near future to make this all seem like crazy talk anyway.





Search Amazon.com for guide to flickr